Tower Circus, Blackpool
The Tower Circus first opened to the public on 14 May 1894 and has not missed a season since. The Blackpool Tower is a big Eiffel Tower like structure with a big building as its base. The circus is located directly between the four tower legs. The present interior was designed by architect Frank Matcham and was completed in 1900.
The circus ring can be lowered into a pool of water and holds 42,000 imperial gallons (190,000 L) at a depth of up to 4 ft 6 in (1.37 m), which allows for Grand Finales with Dancing Fountains. The Tower Circus is one of four circus buildings left in the world with such a water feature in working order. The 110 x 110 foot Arena seats an audience of 1,300 people.
The clown Charlie Cairoli appeared at the tower for 39 years. Britain's best-known, and the World’s Greatest ringmaster Norman Barrett MBE worked in the ring for 25 years.
Animals appeared in the circus until 1990. It was planned to close the circus at the end of the 1990 season and replace it with an animatronic attraction. Public opinion and the fact the animatronics were not ready meant that the circus continued.
Nowadays, the circus is produced and directed by Hungarian Laci Endresz, who is married to Maureen, one of the Roberts family who have a long association with the Tower Circus. A live band (sometimes accompanied by Mooky the Clown) provides all the music for the show. In the winter the circus stages a pantomime instead of a regular circus show.
Blackpool, FY1 4BJ